A week of PRCP gone. Sumpah i still feel that SGH is too big a place for me. It's only been two days in the ward and I'm still adjusting to the ward routine, presence of
Squidwart and everything else. In case you're wondering, the first three days was spent in the lecture hall. The CIs gave us lectures on ward processes and such, which I find very useful, especially for a newbie like me.
The first time I entered the ward, I was shocked. No words can describe how I feel at that point of time. For the very first time in my entire nursing life, I saw a nine-bedded cubicle. If you've been to a TTSH C class ward, you'll know the difference. Later a friend told me they did TPR manually, cos the whole time I was in there I couldn't see any Dynamap around. And their thermoscan looks more like a telephone to me. Funny.
And I'm a pro when it comes to washing hands without looking back in TTSH cos it's automatic. I thought I could do the same here by talking to my patient while placing my hands below the tap waiting for water to run at the same time. Later I realised that the tap wasn't turned on. How embarrasing! And I still haven't got over the fact that they actually did NG tube feeding without any apron or even gloves on. Not on time somemore. Back in TTSH, when feeding time is scheduled at nine, they will have everything prepared by 8.45am. Efficient? Very.
And and their juniors don't take report. I was like what! How to know who's on hourly para, NBM and such? Everything ask staff nurse. Mampos aku!
I know it's still early to criticise, but I still feel that TTSH is a more equipped and a more organized environment. So friends in TTSH, appreciate what you have now. Although I do feel like a deviant in the ward most of the time, I'm thankful that the sisters, staff, doctors and friends are fine. In fact, I'm very happy to see a familiar face around. No, not
Squidwart lah. My netball senior is now my staff nurse. How cool is that? But I have yet to meet my preceptor. Hmm.
I hope the twelve weeks will be a breeze, Insyallah.